Table of Content
- Gameplay Mechanics
- General Game Tips
- Class Specific Tips
- Area Specific Tips
This General Game Guide gives an overview of what the game has to present and some brief explanations of how things work. Diablo 2 has many specific concepts, we break these concepts down into a more digestible list from the names of things, what you're looking at, and even installing the game.
- Download and install the Battle.net Launcher from Blizzard.com.
- Open up the Battle.net Launcher and make sure you have purchased the game.
- Select Diablo II: Resurrected and install the game.
- After the game is installed play the game!
- Display Mode is the actual screen setup on your monitor. If you want it to be Full Screen or Windowed.
- Resolution is to adjust for specific screen sizes.
- Resolution Scale controls the Resolution as a percentage.
- Sharpening controls how sharp the edges in a picture are.
- Brightness adjusts the game's brightness on your screen.
- Vertical Sync helps to prevent screen tearing with powerful graphics cards.
- Graphic Presets has a custom mode that keeps a saved profile for you.
- Texture Quality adjusts the quality of the in game textures.
- Anisotropic Filter helps smooth out distant shapes and the strain on your hardware.
- Ambient Occlusion Quality improves lighting in the game.
- Character Detail adjusts the character's graphics quality.
- Environment Detail adjusts the environment's graphics quality.
- Transparency Quality
- Shadow Quality changes the quality of shadows.
- Anti-Aliasing helps eliminate the pixelized look.
- Dynamic Resolution Scaling helps you maintain a framerate with resolution adjustments.
- VFX Lightning Quality helps give more lightning detail.
Legacy Video Options
- Game Resolution adjusts the old graphics screen settings.
- Lighting Quality adjusts the lighting quality of the old graphics.
- Blended Shadows smooths out shadows in the old graphics.
- Perspective Mode changes the way you see the game slightly.
- Contrast adjusts color differences.
- Sound adjust the overall sound in the game.
- Music adjusts the overall music in the game.
- NPC Speech allows you to select whether NPCs have Audio and or Text when interacting.
- Disable Reverb disables echoes.
- Preset allows you to have different sound modes for different situations.
- Voices adjusts the volume of the games voices and voice lines.
- Sound Effects adjusts the overall volume of various interactions.
- User Interface adjusts the volume of selection sounds.
- Items adjusts the volume of inventory items, drops, and pickups.
- Monsters adjusts monster audio.
- Skills adjusts the volume of all Skills in the game.
- Ambient adjusts the background audio.
- Combat adjusts player effort, impact, explosion, weapon, and gore sounds.
- Item Label Display
All items on the ground permanently show up, when toggled.
Show Items on the ground while holding the hotkey. Default is "Alt".
Mix between Hold, and Toggle - Causes the items to show up when hitting the hotkey. After a few seconds, the item display goes away.
- Auto-Gold Pickup
- Activating this option allows your Character to pick up gold while walking over it.
- Auto-Party Invite
- Activating this option causes you to instantly invite players / accept their party invite upon entering a game.
- Default Key Bindings
Hotkeys are set to the default Legacy key selection. E.g. F1-12 for Skills.
Control hotkeys are set to a modern "ergonomic" key selection.
Sets all hotkeys to the keys of your choice.
- Show Item Tooltip Button Prompts
- Allows you to compare an item with your Characters equipped item in that slot by holding "Shift".
- Show Life Orb Text
- The Life Orb shows the current and maximum numeric value of your Character.
- Show Mana Orb Text
- The Mana Orb shows the current and maximum numeric value of your Character.
- Show Ammo Count on Skills
- Shows the numeric value of ammunition when using Skills that require projectile Weapons.
- E.g. Remaining Arrows show on the Skill in your Skill selection.
- Show Clock
- Chat Gem Mode
- Chat Font Size
- Adjust the font size of Chat in-game.
- Large Font Mode
- All fonts are increased in size for better readability.
- Color Blind Mode
- Adjust different color codings depending on the color-blind type selected.
- Color Blind Strength
- Adjust the color-blind mode in accordance to the Strength you require.
- Camera Shake
- Removes any screen shake in the game. E.g. After Duriel is killed.
- Attack Miss Indicator
- The word "Miss" shows up when your attack is not successful.
- Any spoken text in the game has a subtitle in chat.
- NPC Greetings Subtitles
- Any spoken text in the game has a subtitle in chat.
- Cursor Sensitivity
- Adjusts the stick sensitivity.
- Weapon Swap Separate Skill Buttons
- Controller Vibration
- Enables and Disables vibration on your controller.
- Swap Thumbsticks
- Changes the primary Thumbstick to the other one.
- Automap Size
- Adjusts the Map from a small side map to a full-screen map.
- Automap Opacity
- Adjusts the transparency of your mini map.
- Center When Cleared
- Recenters the mini map onto your Character.
- Show Party Members
- Shows your party's names on the mini map.
- Show Character Names
- Shows the Character Name on Town Portals.
- Show Game Name and Password
- Allows you to hide the Game Names and Passwords everywhere (In-Game, On Game creation, on Game selection)
There are 3 difficulty modes in Diablo 2.
- Normal is the difficulty you start the game with.
- Nightmare is the difficulty that unlocks after the Baal Quest is completed in Normal. It makes monsters harder and lowers your overall resistances.
- Hell difficulty is unlocked after Baal Quest is completed in Nightmare. It makes monsters harder and lowers your overall resistances.
- Hardcore is a mode of the game you can select upon your character creation. This mode makes it so when you die your character becomes unplayable.
- Softcore is the default version of the game and gives you a penalty when you die. This penalty consists of Gold and Experience loss in Nightmare and Hell.
- Classic is the original version of the game pre-LOD expansion pack with only 5 characters and other limitations.
- Lord of Destruction is the Expansion pack for Diablo 2 and introduced new items, 2 new classes the Druid and Assassin, Act 5, and much more.
The Grail or Holy Grail is a challenge to find all of the Unique and Set items in the game. This can sometimes also include Ethereal Uniques, Runes, and Runewords.
Single Player is offline play in a game of your own. Main differences are static maps (maps do not randomize from game to game), and selecting the Player Setting.
Speedrunning is a an activity of going through the game as fast as possible to your best ability. Typically a race to Normal or Hell Baal.
The Secret Cow Level
The Secret Cow Level is a place you can enter with only cows in it. You can create the red Portal entrance by transmuting wirt's leg found from Tristram and ]Tome of Town Portal in Act 1's Rogue Encampment after you finish Baal's Quest.
Quests are objectives found in the game based on the Lore of the game. These Quests can have specific items tied to the Quest with various rewards such as A Jade Figurine and Potion of Life.
- Ladder is a mode where people can create a character or "Ladder Character" and compete on global leaderboards!
- Non-Ladder is where all the past "Ladder Characters" go after a new Ladder starts. This is commonly used for PVP as these characters will remain Non-Ladder for the rest of their existence.
PVP stands for Player vs Player and is a common activity for players to fight each other for glory and bragging rights. This is done with the Hostile function in the party screen.
Rushing is the action of getting fresh characters pushed through the game with the assistance from someone's much stronger character.
Trading can be done in Multiplayer with other characters by clicking on their character in town. Almost anything can be traded.
Durability Quantity and Ethereals
- Most gear in Diablo 2 has a durability that gets used up upon hitting or taking a hit depending on if it is a Weapon or not.
- Throwing weapons and items have a quantity to them, meaning you can only throw a certain amount before you have to repair them. Repairing them replenishes their quantity.
- Ethereal items have a lower durability and but always drop at their max value. They cannot be repaired after the durability runs out. A broken item cannot be used.
- Normal items are the base versions of items which can be both inferior or superior and also ethereal. Normal Resource.
- Magic items have at least 1 affix or modifier to them and can have up to 2, a Prefix and Suffix.
- Rare items have at least 3 affixes and up to 6, 3 Prefixes and 3 Suffixes.
- Set items are named items that gain bonuses when having more items of that same Set or group of items. Set items Resource.
- Unique items are named items with unique stats. Unique Resource.
- Crafted items are items you can create by using the Horadric Cube and specific recipes. Crafted Items Resource and Horadric Cube Recipes.
Runewords are specific combinations of Runes put into a Base Item to create an item with very powerful, magical properties.
- Scroll of Town Portal and Tome of town portal open up temporary checkpoints. At almost any time you can open up a Town Portal to go back to town saving the location you were just at.
- Scroll of identify and Tome of Identify allow you to Identify items that are Unidentified.
Acts are chapters, settings, or portions of the game which present a specific feel to surroundings, monster types, and combat. There are 5 Acts in the game:
- Act 1 is a forest wilderness with caves and a cathedral.
- Act 2 is a desert with desert temples.
- Act 3 is jungle and old dark mossy temples.
- Act 4 is a battlefield of the angels and demons in the depths of Hell.
- Act 5 has a snowy atmosphere with frozen caves, and a fortress under siege by Baal's minions.
Red Portals are special locations you can enter which are unique to that area, sometimes tied to quest progression, or can be crafted with recipes such as The Secret Cow Level or Uber Portals.
Vendors are NPCs (non player characters) from town that sell you gear, equipment, and services.
- Gamble Vendors sell Unidentified items for a high price of gold with the chance of getting something good.
- Gear Vendors sell you different types of gear like weapons and armor.
- Healing Vendors will instantly cleanse you of most negative effects and bring all your main resources to 100%.
- Mercenary Vendors enable you to hire a personal helper by your side and resurrect him when he dies.
- Potion Vendors enable you to buy potions such as Healing Potions and Mana Potions.
- Repair Vendors can repair gear pieces that have a durability.
Waypoints are Diablo 2's checkpoints. At any time you can enter specific areas of the game from town or other Waypoints after you have collected its Waypoint.
The Diablo Clone is a very tough boss that spawns replacing the first Super Unique Boss you come across after selling The Stone of Jordan to a merchant (1 in Single Player and 75-125 in Multiplayer). Upon Diablo Clone's death the Annihilus drops.
- Bosses are generally referring to Act Bosses and Uber Bosses but can include side Quest Bosses.
- A Super Unique is a named boss monster typically with minions, is static to that specific area, and drops more loot than regular Unique Groups.
- Unique Groups spawn as 1 boss monster and a pack of 3-6 Minions of the same monster type. The boss spawns with one Elite Affix in Normal, two Affixes in Nightmare, and 3 Affixes in Hell.
- Champion Groups or blue packs are spawn as 2-4 of the same monster, with special abilities and Stats based on the type of Champion they are.
- Resource for Unique Groups and Champions.
- Normal monsters are just the filler enemies that are generally themed for a specific area.
The Ubers fight is endgame content available to you after Baal Quest in Hell is completed.
- To fight the Uber Bosses, you must have 3 red Portals opened in Harrogath by putting the Key of Terror, Key of Hate, and Key of Destruction into the Horadric Cube.
- Fight the bosses in the Red Portals Lilith, Uber Duriel, and Uber Izual for Mephisto's Brain, Diablo's Horn, and Baal's Eye. They have a 100% Chance to drop.
- Combine the Organs to open a red Portal in Harrogath, which leads to Tristram, where you face Uber Mephisto, Uber Diablo, and Uber Baal. Upon the death of these Uber Bosses you will be rewarded the Hellfire Torch.
Affixes and Stats
- Stats and Affixes are what defines an items abilities and function. Certain items have certain amounts of affixes or modifiers to them.
- Super Uniques and Uniques also have stats that can spawn on them that may boost resistances and different attributes about them.
Auras are passive area buffs or debuffs that come from either bosses, players, or mercenaries and have a limited range.
Breakpoints determine how fast an animation takes to finish an action in the game. Such as Faster Cast Rate or Faster Hit Recovery.
The Character screen give an overview of your characters stats. This includes your Name, Class, Level, total Experience, Attributes, Damage values, hit mechanics, Life, Mana, Stamina, and Resistances.
Death is when your Life hits 0. There are different death consequences in Diablo 2:
- Normal = Loss of Gold.
- Nightmare = Loss of Gold and 5% Experience loss.
- Hell = Loss of Gold and 10% Experience loss.
- Hardcore Death = Cannot play that character any longer.
Experience is what your character receives after a monster is slain. With enough Experience gained you can level and raise the overall power of your character.
The Horadric Cube is a relic of a bygone era that allows for amazing transmutations to create items from your wildest dreams. Using specific combinations of items you'll find along your travels you can create wondrous Crafted Items, repair and recharge your gear, and combine necessary quest items into their legendary artifacts.
The Inventory screen displays all of the gear and items you have equipped as well as any items you may be carrying on your person.
Life Mana and Stamina
- Life is quite literally your living essence displayed! Life does not regen on it's own. When your Life hits 0 you are dead.
- Mana is the energy source of your Skills and abilities. Mana will regen on its own, slowly. When your Mana hits 0 you can no longer use some Skills.
- Stamina is a display of how long you can run. Stamina will regen if you are not actively running or attacking. When your Stamina hits 0 you are forced to walk.
Magic and Gold Find
Gold Find (x% Extra Gold from Monsters), also known as "GF", and Magic Find (x% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items), also known as "MF." GF increases the amount of gold that drops. MF increases the chance of finding an item of higher rarity. See the resource here.
- A Mercenary is a NPC you can hire to fight along side you. You can gear this character with a Helm, Weapon, Armor, and sometimes a Shield.
- The Mercenary screen gives a quick overview of the Gear, Skills, Life, Resistances, and Level of your Mercenary.
The Party Screen gives you a list of the people that are in the game including their Class and Level.
- Partied players will show up green and show their location. You will also share Experience with them while close to them.
- Neutral players show up white. You will not share any Experience with a Neutral player.
- Hostile players will show up red.
- Separately Partied players will show up orange. You will not share any Experience with anyone in a separate party.
The Player Count or Player Settings in both Single Player and Multiplayer increase the drop rate of items, the Experience gained from monster kills, and the damage monsters deal. Certain Skills and damage modifiers also scale with Player Settings. For casual and elite gamers alike, the number of players you bring into a game will have a significant impact on your gameplay.
Resistances and Immunities
Resistances reduce the damage taken from specific damage sources. For example if you have Cold Resistance you will take less Cold Damage. Monsters can be immune to specific damage making that damage deal nothing to them. Curses and Auras can break some immunities with specific power levels.
The Skill Tree displays what Skills are available to your class with 3 different Skill Tabs. At the very top it displays the Skills that are available at Level 1 and Skill unlocks in increments of 6 Levels up to Level 30.
- Prerequisites are the Skills that have an arrow leading to that desired Skill. You must point a Hard Point into these in order to put additional Hard Points into your desired Skill with Prerequisites.
- Skill Level is the Level of your Skill which is displayed with a number in your Skill Tree in the bottom right square of your Skill.
- Hard Points are the Skill Points you physically put into a Skill from Quest rewards or Level-Ups (Base Points) and they Max out at Level 20. Hard Points synergize with other Skills.
- Soft Points are the Skill Points you gain from buffs or gear with +x to Skills. They don't add their Synergy bonus.
- Synergy is the term used when one Skill gains a bonus from another Skill shown on the bottom of the Skill's description. Example Blessed Hammer receives a 14% Magic Damage Bonus Per Level of Blessed Aim and Vigor (Hard Points Only).
Shrines and Wells
- Shrines are valuable boosts to your overall gameplay that give you instant temporary buffs, or restore your resources.
- Wells clear effects off of you and heal you partially, instantaneously.
Area of Effect (AOE)
Area of Effect is a term generally used in combat for attacks and abilities that cover an area or can hit multiple targets at once such as Blizzard.
Crowd Control (CC)
Crowd Control is a term used for abilities or effects that cause fights and monsters to be disrupted or distracted from their normal patterns by manipulating combat to your advantage.
Damage Over Time (DOT)
DOT is a form of damage that applies damage for a duration before expiring. Poison Damage or Open Wounds are common examples of DOTs. DOTs in Diablo 2 prevent monsters from being able to heal.
In Diablo 2 there are actual chance to hit mechanics. Characters that attack have a chance to hit while the defender with a shield equipped has a chance to block and or dodge the attack. Characters that cast their Skills generally just rely on the animation hitting the targets, they are not bound by the same attack mechanics.
- Baal Runs are a very common activity to do in Diablo 2. Someone needs to get the Throne of Destruction area up for everyone to join in. During this time you can use this time efficiently by killing Eldritch The Rectifier, Shenk The Overseer, and Pindleskin while waiting for the Throne of Destruction Town Portal to open.
- Town is your enemy. - "Town is Lava!'
- Buff with Battle Command 2 times then Battle Orders and other Skills. This gives more duration to Battle Command. Casting Battle Command first boosts the levels of all the Skills and Abilities.
Change up your Auras
- While in group play it can be helpful to use different Auras on Mercenaries adding more buffs to your group.
- Example: One Character can have the holyfreeze Act 2 Mercenary, another can have blessedaim, and another could have prayer so you all get as many buffs as possible. This becomes even more useful when your Mercenaries equip Aura granting items like pride for [/d2planner-skill]concentration[/d2planner-skill] Aura.
Fast Potion Buying
- Fast Potion buying in D2R works for PC by holding the Enter key down and spamming Left Click. You can also unequip and reequip your belt after buying potions with Shift + Left Click.
- Use Reduces all Vendor Prices x% for gambling. Gheeds Fortune and edge combined can give you a grand total of 30% off!
- Kiting is a term used across gaming in general. The concept is getting the enemy's attention, running away from them as they follow you while either doing damage or moving them away from a specific area.
Long Distance Teleporting
- UI Teleporting also known as C/T Teleporting is the action of opening up a screen in game such as your Inventory or Character Screen to allow you to use teleport covering larger distances. This is done by Teleporting once then moving your cursor to the edge of the screen while holding the teleport button.
- Make sure to remove your current Mercenary's Items before hiring a new one otherwise they are gone forever.
- Use a Hel Rune + Scroll of Town Portal + "Item with stuff socketed in it" in the Horadric Cube to unsocket and item destroying the contents of what's in the item. Look at more Horadric Cube Recipes.
- Town Portals keep an area and all the monsters in it active with a 1 screen range. This means anything that dies in that range can drop items, keep Prevent Monster Heal active, and doesn't despawn Baal clone or map related objects.
- telekinesis can be used on Town Portals in the wild, and in Town.
- Name Lock allows you to attack enemies that might run off-screen. To do this, hover over them with your mouse (while on-screen) and hold down the mouse button with the attack of your choice. An example is Name Locking Baal then when he uses Teleport you can use Teleport on him and move right to him regardless of the distance. Note: Changing Skills on the used mouse button does not interrupt Name Lock.
- Typing /nopickup disables items from being targeted without holding the "Show Items" hotkey. This also works in Multiplayer.
Reset Your Maps
- Reset your maps or remaking a game can drastically decrease the difficulty in an area or improve the map layout. For example:
- If you have a long distance to Mephisto (Durance of Hate Level 2 - Level 3) in Singleplayer you can easily reset it for the chance of a very short distance.
- If you spawn monsters in an area that you cannot fight that you need to pass through, there is a chance that you can remove that monster type as every area picks monsters from a list. This can be due to their Immunities (e.g. Lightning Immunes for Lightning builds), or high damage (Burning Souls).
Run Speed In Town
- Harmony gives you Vigor when equipped. Put this item on swap to travel faster. This is especially helpful for the farming Pindleskin with the long walk in town. Another option is to use Zephyr which doesn't have an Aura, but it gives you 25% Faster Run/Walk.
- In the Offline Character Selection Screen, you can enter the game and a specified difficulty by doing these actions:
- Enter + R = Select Character highlighted and select Normal Difficulty
- Enter + N = Select Character highlighted and select Nightmare Difficulty
- Enter + H = Select Character highlighted and select Hell Difficulty
- Typing /players x makes the game to scale as if x amount of players are in the game going up to 8.
- To manipulate Armor and Weapon Racks you approach and click them from the same direction as before. This only works for item bases, it does not determine quality, and only works on the same "seed" or map layout.
Shop Merchants Often
- Shop at Nightmare Charsi and Gheed for good early game Resistance and Life gear.
- Telestomp or Telestomping is a term to describe the use of Teleport to move yourself right on top of your target and attack them.
- Use Town Portals at locations which give you potential time save, not just to go back to town but to keep checkpoints of an area.
Example: Open a Town Portal at the Cairn Stones in Stony Field, continue to Dark Woods and use the Waypoint there to return to Stony Field quickly.
- peace has a chance to spawn a Level 15 Valkyrie, however when you do not have a Skill Point allocated into Valkyrie it de-spawns shortly after. Investing 1 Skill Point in or using a Harmony for + to Valkyrie fixes this issue, and you get a much stronger Valkyrie for very little investment.
- By putting Death Sentry a bit farther away it is not able to use its weak Lightning attack and is forced to only use corpseexplosion.
- Wake of Fire has a Next Hit Delay causing it to only deal damage to a target with only 2 or rarely 3 traps even though you can have up to 5 active at a time. You can use other Skills like Fire blast to deal additional damage to single targets.
- Anya in Act 5 Nightmare and Hell can sell you Claws such as Cunning Greater Talons or even Cunning Greater Talons of Quickness.
- Buff with Battle Command 2 times then Battle Orders and other Skills. This gives more duration to Battle Command. Casting Battle Command first boosts the levels of all the Skills and Abilities.
- In Act 5 Nightmare and Hell you can buy items with +x to Warcries such as Echoing Glaive and Echoing Throwing Knife.
- Recast cyclone armor to sustain maximum survivability.
- Increased Attack Speed is much more effective on Weapons when in Shape-Shift form.
- As a Necromancer you have the ability to use an Irongolem, however when you respec with an Irongolem active it dies. There is a way to counter this issue by putting an item on that has Irongolem Charges such as Metalgrid or Oath.
- Bone armor actually does more for you if you put points into its Synergies Bonewall and boneprison.
- Auras have a tick rate this can be abused for things such as Redemption's area proc. For example, you can have Concentration up active while playing Hammerdin, but roughly every 1.2 seconds you can turn on Redemption and swap back to Concentration getting the use of the Skill even though it was only up for a brief second.
- Paladins typically use a main Aura for their build. Many Auras are available to the Paladin's arsenal and that can be used to help boost your team in a group setting by utilizing different Auras and communicating which ones can help your team.
- Holy Bolt deals damage to Undead Magic Immunes even though it deals Magic Damage.
- There is a spot in which you can "pre-hammer" with Blessed Hammer while you wait for Diablo to spawn in allowing you to hit him with all cast hammers. Place yourself just slightly above the middle left of the 6 o'clock wing on the star. Right when Diablo spawns in you "telestomp" him to deal "double" damage for almost a whole cycle of hammers. Be sure not to have any obstructions in the direct center of the star or Diablo's spawn location can move.
- Telekinesis can be used through walls on clickables (chests, rocks, dead bodies etc.). This is especially helpful for Quest Chests like the one in Spider Cavern in Act 3 or the Maggot Lair Level 3 in Act 2.
- Due to how Resistances work it is recommended to aim for only 17 Skill Points into Cold Mastery for 100% Cold Resistance Pierce. A monster's Resistance cannot get below -100% for any attack, making additional Cold Resistance Pierce in a lot of places obsolete.
- While utilizing Energyshield put Skill Points into telekinesis to reduce the damage taken by a percent.
- Shrines are often grouped next to each other in Act 1 near the Waypoint. This is great for checking Gem Shrines or Experience Shrines. Shrines can overwrite curses so use them to counter the Curse. This goes both ways, if you get Cursed while a Shrine is active you lose it.
- The Cairn Stones (Entrance to Tristram) is always next to the path that leads from the Cold Plains to the Underground Passage entrance.
- The Countess is for commonly farmed for Runes. Increase the drop rate of Runes by playing in Solo / Players 1 games.
- In Single Player The Countess spawn location can be made consistent by taking the same path to her in Tower Cellar Level 5. Example: Entering the South side entrance to her room causes her to spawn in location A. If you enter the North side entrance she spawns in location B.
- In the Forgotten Tower Levels there are tiles commonly known and referred to as the "L shape". The L always has a dead clickable corpse with a fire underneath it. This map tile has a VERY high chance to spawn a Unique Boss pack.
- The Imbue Quest is not needed and is typically more valuable to hold on to for late game.
Catacombs Level 4
- Andariel has 2 different drop tables:
- Quest drops that trigger on killing her while the Quest is active.
- The regular drop table after completing Quest 6.
- You can "Quest Bug" her by going to Act 2 prior to exiting the game, this ensures that she always has the Quest drop table in that difficulty. You only have one opportunity to perform this bug per difficulty.
- While fighting Andariel, kiting is your friend. There are many places to abuse her mechanics such as a small blood pool in her room on the South East side and barrels to run around for cover. There is also a big door that connects the previous room with monsters in it and the room she spawns in, you can close this door to block out monsters.
The Secret Cow Level
- Shop Drognan on the top right exit of Lut Gholein for Wands and Staves such as Wand of Lower Resistance, Wand of Life Tap, and Staff of Teleportation.
- Use the North side Sewers entrance to reset Elzix while shopping.
- Use the bottom entrance in Sewers to find the Level 2 entrance 2-3 tiles away on either the right or left side.
- Talk to Jerhyn behind the wall next to Kaelan if he walks over to you after completing killing Duriel and talking to Tyrael at the end of Act 2. Then open a Town Portal to Harem Level 1 to get back to Meshif faster.
The Maggot Lair
- Egg Hopping is the action of dropping enough items such as Potions on the ground next to a Sand Maggot Egg in the Maggot Lair to force a Town Portal to open on the opposite side of the egg. This can allow you to skip them when they are invincible (common bug).
The Claw Viper Temple
- Snakes in The Claw Viper Level 2 cannot get past the stairs that lead to the Sun Altar.
- The bottom route on both the top left and top right directions of Arcane Sanctuary allow you to see the platform where The Summoner is a few screens prior to hitting the end of the path.
- In Single Player you only need to click the book at The Summoner, you don't have to kill him to get to Duriel.
- Missing Symbol at The Summoner platform in the back is the Real Symbol for Tal Rasha's Tomb.
Tal Rasha's Tomb
- While leveling in the Tomb leveling go left for Unique Boss packs next to the Gold Chest and beetles.
- In Tal Rasha's Chamber you can use Teleport to Tyrael before the door opens.
- While fighting Duriel use Thawing Potions to gain extra Cold Resistance. They stack for 30 seconds each and provide 50 Cold Resistance, and 10 Maximum Cold Resistance.
The Spider Forest
- In the Spider Cavern the Quest Chest can be Telekinesised through the wall.
- For melee characters in Normal you can make Khalim's will and use it while leveling.
- Lower Kurast Super Chest tiles have 7 torches around a campfire and a left hut with 2 Super Chests and a right hut with a Weapon Rack and Super Chest. There is also an Armor Rack on the North side and a dead corpse on the South East side. There can be up to 2 of these tiles in the area totaling 6 Super Chests. The chests are very strong to farm in Single Player if you reset your maps to have 2 nearby Super Chest tiles adjacent to the Waypoint.
- The Compelling Orb in Travincal can be Telekinesised from a distance.
- The Travincal Council Members can be dangerous. You can attack the members from a distance through the window. On the left side of their spawn is a "cage like area". You can lure them into this area and Teleport towards the top left before fighting them from a distance. Beware of Hydra and healing monsters such as Hierophants.
The Durance of Hate
- The Moat trick is a common strategy used against Mephisto in the Durance of Hate Level 3, typically a Blizzard Sorceress. You kite Mephisto down to the bottom right side near the stairs or red portal, Teleport across, and you attack him at a range where you can hit him, but he can't hit you.
- Behind Mephisto's a Super chest spawns that you can open for a chance for good drops such as up to a Ber Rune.
- If you stand far enough back next to the pillars on the north West of side of the room when Mephisto dies, you are able to use Telekinesis on Red Portal and save a lot of time by not waiting for the bridge to come up.
- Travel to Act 4 before resetting your games when farming Mephisto. This allows you to quickly use a Waypoint rather than walking the whole distances from the spawning locations in Act 3.
Plains of Despair
- When Izual in the Plains of Despair dies he kills everything within a large radius. Burning Souls are one of the enemies that can spawn there and have a good chance to drop Runes, Jewelry, and Charms. This strategy is sometimes referred to as the "Izzy Pop".
The Chaos Sanctuary
- On the South East "wing" of The Chaos Sanctuary you have 2 different tile setups. We can abuse the J shaped tile with ranged builds by attacking Infector of Souls over the moat without him being able to hit you.
- The Chaos Sanctuary has a unique mechanic which is referred to as "Seal Popping". After all the Seals are opened and Seal Bosses are dead, all the monsters are killed throughout this zone and Diablo spawns in some moments later. We can abuse this process to our advantage. Seal Popping has a few mechanics to understand to pull off properly.
- Monsters have an activation period and will remain active ~8 seconds after being outside their activation range which is ~2 screens.
- By teleporting quickly past as many mobs as you can and hitting the final Seal or killing the last Seal Boss after, you can get all those monsters you just activated to drop items.
- These drops are not effected by Magic Find and Seal Popping works best with a higher player count to increase drop rate.
- You can also open up a Town Portal in a location where many mobs are located to keep that area active when the Seal Pop happens.
- Because of Diablo Clone's mechanics you can spawn him in The Chaos Sanctuary and kill him by hitting the last Seal or last Seal Boss this is referred to as the Seal Pop method. (This Method is not confirmed yet for any version of D2R)
- You can make Diablo waste actions during his fight by placing a Town Portal next to him and stepping back making him summon bone prison on it over and over.
- "Corner Cheese" is a technique used against Diablo on melee builds. Lure him to a corner of The Chaos Sanctuary and let him walk close to it. You then can attack him "around the corner" while he is unable to hit you with his "Laser". The best corner for this is East to the pentagram.
- The Ancients in the Arreat Summit fight have many mechanics, strategies, and locations you can abuse.
- If you stand perfectly in a corner you can disable Talic's ability to use WhirlWind by having him WhirlWind on top of you in a corner. If done correctly he only swings at you with his normal attack. There are a lot of places in the South East to execute this trick.
- By standing behind a pillar you can make Madawc attack the pillar making him no threat to you.
- There are a few locations you can get Korlic stuck in where he just runs endlessly against either a wall or pillar. One location you can do this in is on the South East side. If you go into the South Eastern most corner and wait for him to jump to you, Teleport to where the pillar and the circle meets to cause him to get stuck.
- You can split up the Ancients to fight them one by one. Lure them to the top right area and teleport quickly to the bottom left. Then slowly inch your way towards the top right until one of them engages you. Fight that Ancient in the bottom left side.
- Anya in the Frozen River can be triggered by using Telekinesis both when you initially talk to her and when you thaw her with Malah's Potion.
- Drag Frozenstein away and use Teleport to get by him if you are unable to fight him and get next to Anya.
Throne of Destruction
- In the Throne of Destruction there are many mechanics and strategies that can be utilized.
- When there are no monsters in the throne room where Baal is located he spawns the next wave. This means we can drag all the monsters out without killing them past the archway entrance.
- This allows us to use a strategy commonly known as "Death Strat". Open a Town Portal in Baal's throne room and let yourself get killed intentionally. Return through your Town Portal and open a new one. Now lure monsters that you are unable to fight out of the large room and let them kill you. Return through the Portal again and the next wave is spawning.
- Wave Skipping: When the throne room is clean and Baal starts laughing wait ~5 seconds then cross over to the tile outside the throne room for ~4 seconds and quickly go back in and INSTANTLY out in order to de-spawn the next wave and if you have done it correctly it skips the next wave. This takes practice but is repeatable and easier in Single Player.
- Forced wave spawn: When there are monsters you cannot kill or drag out of the throne room entirely but are not aggroed, there is a method to spawn the next wave. Open a Town Portal right next to Baal hugging the platform where he stands and right as the animation starts for him to curse you, leave and wait in town for ~10 seconds, if you did it correctly the next wave is spawned when you come back.
- Despawn Baal Clone and his tentacles by moving out of Baal's active range which is ~2 screens away then Open a Town Portal and stay in town for ~6 seconds. Once you come back if you did it correctly Baal Clone and his tentacles should despawn. Beware that if you Portal out next to Baal and stay out for a long time there can be a swarm of tentacles.
- When Baal uses his blue wave "Hoarfrost" attack, avoid getting hit multiple times by putting your back against the wall allowing it to travel through you resulting in you only getting hit once.
- The Red Portal that leads to Nihlathak's Temple commonly farmed for Pindleskin no longer disappears in Diablo 2 Resurrected.
- Use Nihlathak's Temple Red Portal next to Anya to reset the shops in Harrogath quickly.
Written by BTNeandertha1
Reviewed by MacroBioBoi