Table of Content
Andariel - The Maiden Anguish is arguably the best boss to farm early on. You can farm large quantities of Unique and Set Items from her with little to no risk to your Character. The value of farming Andariel is not limited to Hell difficulty as even in Nightmare she can drop powerful Items that make further progression a lot easier.
Andariel is located in Catacombs Level 4 in Act 1. The best access point for her is the Waypoint in Catacombs Level 2.
Why farm Andariel?
|Character Specific||-||Titan's Revenge|
Herald of Zakarum
|Caster Builds||Skin of the Vipermagi|
The Stone of Jordan
|The Stone of Jordan|
|Attack Builds||String of Ears|
How do I find Andariel?
Catacombs Level 2
Let's take a look at parts of the Map Reading Guide to help you Level 3 as efficiently as possible.
When entering the Catacombs Level 2 through the Waypoint you are in a map tile that only has one direction to leave it. Take the perspective of your Character when it is running in that direction, and the Catacombs Level 3 always is to your Right. Check out the Video Guide for more detail.
To find Andariel quickly, it helps to know how the exit tile looks like you are looking for. There are 4 Waypoint tiles with 2 corresponding "Exit Tiles" each:
Catacombs Level 3
The entrance to Catacombs Level 4 is usually on the edge of the map, but there is no way to determine which direction to travel.
Catacombs Level 4
Andariel always spawns in the same spot in Catacombs Level 4. Elite-Groups can spawn around her and make the fight more tricky.
Tips & Tricks
Andariel deals significant poison damage, which can be mitigated by drinking Antidote Potions before (to stack Poison Resistance) and during the fight. Bring some along to trivialize the fight!
Burn her down... literally
Want to know what Andariel hates the most? Fire, as she starts with an astonishing -50 Fire Resistance on Hell. If you've got a character that deals fire damage, Andariel is your best bet for farming.
Close the Door!
If you're walking through Catacombs Level 4 to reach Andariel, you have to walk through a large central room full of monsters first. If you're quick enough, you can open and shut door behind you to prevent the monsters from flooding in.
When a lot of Elite-Groups spawn next to Andariel, clear them out before engaging her. This makes fighting her a lot saver, and you can get additional drops from them.
Kiting is a great way of "cheesing" down Andariel. Simply run away from her and use your abilities. You can also use the various obstacles and terrain in her room to block her poison shots.
Most builds are capable of farming Andariel with minimum investment. The Sorceress has a big advantage over other Characters due to her built-in Teleport. Check out our Andariel and Mephisto Tier-List to understand how the following builds match up without Enigma.
- Amazon - Lightning Fury
- Without Enigma, the Amazon is among the worst Characters when it comes to mobility. With her Charged Strike, however, she can destroy Andariel with ease.
- Cannot Be Frozen, high Resistances, and a source of Teleport (E.g. Staff of Teleportation) are required to farm him efficiently.
- Elite-Groups that are naturally Immune to Lightning can be a problem for early-game Javazons.
- Assassin - Lightning Sentry
- The Assassin has very high mobility through Burst of Speed. When equipped with a Staff of Teleportation she can farm Andariel rather efficiently, even with budget gear.
- Barbarian - Frenzy
- Without Enigma it is hard to pick a good Barbarian build for farming Andariel. The Frenzy Barbarian benefits from his high movement speed and can kill him quickly when equipped with enough Crushing Blow.
- Early on the Barbarian struggles a lot in clearing out the area around Andariel which might reduce his kill-speed significantly.
- Druid - Hurricane Tornado
- The Wind Druid can farm Andariel even on a low budget.
- His Summons are able to tank anything even dangerous enemies that you encounter on the way to Andariel.
- Necromancer - Bone Spear
- The Bone Necro is well-equipped to farm Andariel without any danger. It is remarkably easy by simply spamming Bone Prison on top of him and sniping him with Bone Spear.
- Paladin - Blessed Hammer
- Sorceress - Blizzard / Meteor
- Andariel is one of the easiest bosses and best to farm in Diablo 2, especially early on!
- Andariel drops a wide range of Unique and Set Items. Some of them are even used in the end-game.
- Remember that Antidote Potions are your friend, before and during the fight!
- If you are struggling to progress in Hell, or even the later stages of Nightmare, consider farming Mephisto on Nightmare difficulty. He can still drop items that help you.
- Consider having a Helmet and Body Armor filled with Perfect Topaz to equip for the kill for extra Magic Find!
Written by Teo1904
Video by MacroBioBoi
Reviewed by Raxxanterax