The Zeal Paladin or “Zealer” is the perfect marriage of fun and power. Few things beat plunging into hordes of monsters and rapidly hacking them to bits! The Zealer effortlessly slaughters legions of demons and Uber Bosses just the same. The Zeal Paladin is a jack-of-all-trades, excelling at every farming strategy. No quest is too daunting for this holy crusader! In destroying Bosses, dominating Elite Packs, and shredding Baal Waves, all even in a full game, this build puts the game to the sword.
Dealing exclusively Physical Damage with Fanaticism-empowered Zeal, the Zealer faces few Immunity-related obstacles throughout most of the game. With several specialty setups designed for crushing different monsters and farming strategies, this build is highly malleable. The Physical Zealer is a solid beginner-friendly build as well, with a relatively simple playstyle, intuitive gear options, and big damage. The Zealer doesn't require ultra-rare gear either, making this build a solid choice for early-mid Ladder. Breaking the mold with violent swings...let's hack it!
This build guide assumes you have a Character at Level 75 before transitioning to it. Check out our Paladin Leveling Guide and our General Leveling Strategies to reach Level 75.
Enjoyable Playstyle ✔
Destroys Uber Bosses ✔
Easy to Learn and Master ✔
Can Farm Almost Anything ✔
Lots of Strong Build Options ✔
❌ Bad Density Farmer
❌ Dangerous Playstyle
❌ Repetitive Skill Usage
❌ Only 1 Type of Damage
❌ Highly Weapon Dependent
The Zeal Paladin primarily puts Skill Points into the Combat and Offensive Auras Skill Trees.
Put 1 Skill Point into each of the following Skills:
Max out the following Skills in this order:
4. Holy Shield
Put leftover Skill Points into Defiance and/or Resist Lightning past Level 80.
In this build, we allocate as many Stat Points to Strength as we need to equip all of our gear. Be mindful of how much Strength your gear needs and how much it provides when equipped. If the gear piece with the highest Strength requirement also provides you with additional Strength, you can use the Strength bug to equip that item. Check out the Mechanics Section below for details.
Optional: Put additional Stat Points into Strength to increase the Physical Damage of Zeal.
After you put your points into Strength and Dexterity, make sure to check if it is recommended to put Stat Points into Energy. Meet the suggested amount of Energy and put any remaining Stat Points into Vitality.
In this build, we allocate enough Dexterity to reach 75% Chance to Block on the main weapon loadout. Make sure that Holy Shield is active prior to putting Dexterity Points in. Each Stat Point in Dexterity increases your Chance to Block. Be aware that different Shield bases require different amounts of Dexterity for 75% Chance to Block. Leveling also causes a need for more points to maintain 75% Chance to Block.
In this build, we don't put any Stat Points into Energy. This build gets enough Mana from gear, buffs, Mana Potions, and Mana Leech.
- Teleport using the Faster Cast Rate gear on your Weapon-Swap.
- Make sure to keep Fanaticism active at all times while attacking with Zeal on your main weapon loadout.
- Take advantage of Holy Shield: put enough Stat Points into Dexterity to achieve maximum Chance to Block (75%) with Holy Shield active.
- This build is fully customizable in terms of its Weapon, Increased Attack Speed, Faster Cast Rate, Deadly Strike, Damage Reduction, Defense, Resistances, Magic Find, and a host of other stats. Build your Zealer according to what you want to farm and what gear you have at your disposal.
- If you are lacking some of the Best in Slot (BiS) gear for this build, make use of easier to acquire alternatives such as Oath and Shaftstop to get to a functional Zeal Paladin setup faster.
- While the Zealer proves efficient in several top Farming Spots, this build is most effective as an Uber killer. Farm Hellfire Torches with this build to use it to its full potential!
Guide by DarkHumility
We hope you enjoy this build! It doesn't get much more fun than plunging into hordes of enemies and cutting them to ribbons. Strike fear into the hearts of demons, big and small!