The Sorceress has been one of the most beloved characters to start your journey into the world of Diablo 2. With very little item investment, the Frozen Orb Sorceress is capable of destroying Andariel, Mephisto and Pindleskin, some of the most popular early solo farming bosses. With a decent Faster Cast Rate breakpoint and the use of the Skill Teleport, you can get to these bosses in no time.
The Frozen Orb Sorceress, can be somewhat difficult to pilot with low survivability in some stages. However using Energy Shield can help a bit with some of your incoming damage going to Mana rather than just Life. This build is also unrivaled as one of the best Ladder Starter builds with its speed and versatility.
This build uses Cold Damage which is a great form of Crowd Control as it can Chill or Freeze mobs which either slows or stops them in their tracks. However it will not work well with mobs that are Cold Immune. The main damage against this type of monster will evolve around Static Field and your Mercenary. Another option against immunes can be playing the Hybrid version of this build - The Frozen Orb Meteor Sorceress.
This build guide assumes you have a Character at Level 75 before transitioning to it. It follows the progression of our Sorceress Leveling Guide and our General Leveling Strategies to reach Level 75.
Great Boss Farmer ✔
Great Ladder Starter ✔
Fast Paced Playstyle ✔
Can Stack A Lot of Magic Find ✔
Lots of Endgame Gear Options ✔
❌ Very Squishy
❌ Slow Against Cold Immunes
❌ Takes Some Getting Used To
❌ Specific Breakpoints Are Crucial
❌ Damage Falls Off With More Players
The Frozen Orb Sorceress generally utilizes the following Skills:
Put 1 Point into each of the following Skills:
1. Static Field
3. Frozen Armor
4. Cold Mastery
5. Frost Nova
6. Glacial Spike
Max out the following Skills in this order:
1. Frozen Orb
2. Ice Bolt
3. Energy Shield
In this build, we allocate enough Stat Points to Strength to equip all of our gear. Be mindful of how much Strength your gear needs and how much it provides when equipped.
In this build, we don't allocate any Stat Points into Vitality. We are using the full potential of Energy Shield. This build gets some Life from gear, buffs, and Charms.
In this build, we allocate enough Dexterity to equip all of our gear. Be mindful of how much Dexterity your gear needs and how much it provides when equipped.
In this build we use Energy Shield which requires large amounts of Mana. Allocate any remaining Stat Point into Energy.
- Keep your Battle Command, Battle Orders and Frozen Armor buffs up at all times.
- Use Telekinesis any time you can to save time.
- Put enough Stat Points into Strength to wear gear and remaining Stat Points go into Energy.
- Position yourself well during combat for optimal damage with Frozen Orb and pay attention to the enemy’s positioning, movements, and Auras.
- For big damage make the Frozen Orb explode inside your targets.
- Use Yew Wand of Lower Resistance and your Mercenary with Infinity Giant Thresher against Cold Immunes.
- Keep a bit of distance and use Glacial Spike in dangerous situations to freeze targets.
- Insight on your Mercenary solves your Mana problems in early stages.
- Have fun!
Guide by BTNeandertha1
We hope you enjoy this build! It can be a very fun way to farm with icy explosions. Once you get practiced with it the early game boss farming can be very rewarding. Have fun out there!