The Blessed Hammer Paladin, commonly known as the Hammerdin or Hdin, has been a staple build in Diablo 2 for many years. It excels at sniping Elite monsters, as well as a large majority of the game’s activities.
Hdin focuses on using the Skills Blessed Hammer and Concentration in combination with good positioning to deal its damage. The build’s core setup is built around its Faster Cast Rate (FCR) Breakpoint, usually 75% or 125%.
Blessed Hammer deals Magic Damage, which is a great damage type considering the extreme lack of Magic Immune monsters in the game. Blessed Hammer also does 150% damage to Undead and Demons. Hdin also utilizes Holy Shield which greatly increases Defense and Chance to Block. The combination of these things make this build very tanky and able to put out lots of damage.
Very Tanky ✔
Almost No Immunes ✔
Great for Magic Finding ✔
Easy to Learn Difficult to Master ✔
With Variations it Can do Any Content ✔
❌ Bad in Narrow Areas
❌ Repetitive Skill Actions
❌ Gear Takes Time to Acquire
❌ Can Feel Clunky Without Teleport
❌ Early Game Positioning Takes Effort
The Blessed Hammer Paladin generally utilizes the following Skills:
Put 1 Point into each of the following Skills:
1. Holy Bolt
Max out the following Skills in this order:
1. Blessed Hammer
2. Blessed Aim
5. Holy Shield
In this build, we allocate enough Stat Points to Strength to equip all of our gear. Be mindful of how much Strength your gear needs and how much it provides when equipped.
After you put your points into Strength and Dexterity, make sure to check if it is recommended to put Stat Points into Energy. Meet the suggested amount of Energy and put any remaining Stat Points into Vitality.
In this build, we allocate Dexterity to reach 75% Chance to Block. Each Stat Point in Dexterity increases your Chance to Block. Be aware that different Shield bases require different amounts of Dexterity for 75% Chance to Block. Levels also require more points to reach 75% Chance to Block.
In this build, we don't allocate any Stat Points into Energy. This build gets enough Mana from gear, buffs, Charms, and Mana Potions.
- Keep your Holy Shield buff up at all times! Battle Command and Battle Orders are also important if you have crafted a Call to Arms War Scepter.
- Whenever casting Blessed Hammer make sure Concentration is on to deal maximum damage.
- Put enough Stat Points into Strength to wear your gear and enough Dexterity for max Chance to Block (75%). The remaining Stat Points go into Vitality.
- Position yourself well during combat using kiting, "telestomping," and "hammer fields" to take down your enemy. Pay attention to the enemy’s positioning, Elite Affixes, and Auras.
- Use Holy Bolt against Undead Magic Immune monsters.
- Insight Mercenary solves your Mana problems.
- Have fun!
Guide by BTNeandertha1
We hope you enjoy this build! It can be very fun and very rewarding especially once you get practiced with it. There is nothing like destroying monsters with good positioning and kiting them through your freshly made hammer fields!